samedi, juin 03, 2006

Day 6 in Aus!




An eventful day at O'Reilly's National Park.

The day started well with me, Warren & my parents going for a nice day trip to O'Reilly's beautiful rainforest & treetop walk. But on the way we saw a wallaby that had been hit by a car & left in the middle of the road. So Warren's Australian initiation was to move the poor little wallaby off the road while I picked up the baby that had been thrown from it's mother's pouch.

So in tears I stood in the middle of the road holding this poor little girl wallaby. I then put her in my pocket of my jumper so that it would feel like a pouch and we went to the Alpacca farm nearby. There we rang a wallaby carer but she said she wouldnt be home til later so I took care of the little girl all day under my jumper. I took her out of the pocket & wrapped her up as instructed and looked like I had a baby in my belly all day as you can see from the photos.

I named her Isabelle and took her to the carer after walking around the rainforest all day with her. She would start wriggling around & settled when I rubbed her. Unfortunately the carer took her to the vet and she would have survived except for the broken leg. So Isabelle didnt make it. I was devastated but felt good that we had tried to help her.

Despite all that we had a great day in the treetops walk at O'Reilly's. So named due to a man called O'Reilly who saved 2 people from a plane wreckage in that rainforest in 1937. All hope had been given up as no-one could find the downed plane until O'Reilly set off by himself & found the plane & the two survivors. Quite fitting for our little rescue story although Isabelle didnt make it I still felt it was better for her to be taken off the road and comforted by a nice soft warm Australian belly!

I did wonder why that had been put in my path if I wasnt able to help, but then Warren pointed out that my deed had warmed the hearts of those who heard about the little girl. The Japanese tourists, the lady at the Alpacca farm, my parents & Warren himself said he was quite touched by the incident & much more likely to stop & help next time. Maybe that's what it was really about? We always have a choice to stop & help, some choose to, some choose not, it's not about the outcome just about the fact that we chose to stop & do what we could.

Aucun commentaire: